You know ,the purpose of this blog for me is to document my writing style.This should help me find out the kind of writing style I used to have and how it is changing over time i.e. if its changing indeed.
I asked few friends of mine to read my posts and give my their recommendations for improvement.They came up with the following three things :-
- I should arrange my work.It should be structured rather than loosely written with scattered ideas and topics.
- I should review my writing piece few times before publishing it.
- I should be more formal and less candid when needs be.
Now the first two things are comparatively straightforward and easy to implement.But the last one is tricky,at least for me.This is because I write as if I am having a conversation with you guys(if you read one of my writings,you can have a pretty good idea how I sound in daily life).This is a problem because there has to be a clear distinction between speech and written words.Written words should be more thoughtful and rich in content as compared to speech.Speech in only a minor part of face to face communication since non-verbal communication like tone,gestures,facial expressions etc. matter more than the words themselves.
So now onward,I am going to try and include these changes in my writings including this one.I hope you see some difference.
Adios Amigos/Sayonara Nakama/Goodbye Friends
There are 2 kind of people in the world,
ReplyDelete1. Who change themselves according to the environment to fit in and have a peaceful life
2. Who do not change themselves, rather they change the world around them to make it compatible with themselves.
The second one sounds crazy, but those are the people who make significant change in the world. Whose name gets written in the history.
so, I believe you are doing pretty good. There is no need to write and read differently. And be formal, the purpose of writing is to communicate. It should be simple in my opinion and completely understandable. Adding formalities and following rules which some guy in UK has written doesn't make sense to me. Language is not some static thing which has to followed as it is. Language is a thing which is evolved over time. That is how we got all these languges. So, people should be let to do whatever they want so that the language evolution process should continue and who knows in 100 years people will stop FORCING themselves to be formal and rather be natural the way God made them.
Thanks Saad.You have said things very close to my heart.I generally belong to the second category of people you described.But here I am applying the following rule :
ReplyDelete"Love is like piano,first you have to learn the basics,then you play by your heart".
I want to learn the formal writing style as per 100 year old cynics,and once I get their approval,I will revert back to my own unique style.That is my towards every aspect of life :)