Translate

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Legend of the Guardians : The Owls of Ga'Hoole (The Movie ,2010)

RATING: 7/10
GENRE: Animation, Fantasy, Adventure (IMDb)
THEME/PLOT: An owl believes that the historic stories told by his father at bed time are every bit true.His elder brother,on the other hand, is rather skeptical.Through an unfortunate incident ,the brothers find themselves in a situation where they not only find out the legends to be accurate and existing,but they would have to play parts in another legend-in-making.The evil forces are still lurking out there,gathering means to defeat the Guardians(good) once for all.Will they be victorious in their atrocious endeavor?
MY COMMENTS: Well,I must say,this movie has affected my views and level of knowledge about owls somewhat.They seem comparatively cooler now even though their creepiness still presides over their other properties.
The first time I watched the movie,it grossly disappointed me.This is because I kept trying to find a high point in the movie,but couldn't find any extra-ordinary one.
I can not give examples here because that would ruin the movie for you but I will try and explain the feeling a little bit.Its the feeling you get when you are keenly watching a scene,expecting more from it yet it ends before that.
Here is a technical sort of explanation.Every scene itself has an anti-climax and a climax.Generally the anti-climax is very dramatic making you try and predict every millisecond only to be proven wrong.That anticipation makes the scene and consequently the movie a thrilling and adventurous ride.In this case,the thrill ends before it reaches its peak.
When I watched the movie the second time,I realized why the movie kept letting me down.The reason is that the makers tried to cram a very big story into a typically sized Hollywood movie when it should have been divided into at least two.
Another thing that I noticed was that the animators have taken quite many ideas from movies 300 and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.The story writer seems to be influenced by Lord of the Rings series and the music director appears to be a fan of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King as well as Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
But even with all its shortcomings,I would still recommend the movie.This is because it shows why the English consider owls to be wise and why we,Pakistanis,call our friends "Ullu" (Urdu word for Owl).
Adios Amigos
Peace

2 comments:

  1. Saw that movie and it was truly a great one and yet it was not, worth a watch but rightly said that it just keeps giving you an uneasy feeling that something's missing, I say a good review!

    ReplyDelete